Monday, October 15, 2007

Women Philosophers Website

The Florida Student Philosophy Blog has an interview with Kate Lindemann, who runs the Women Philosophers Website, the one I previously noted. I thought this part was particularly interesting:

Of course part of my interest in the HISTORY of women philosophers arose from an experience when I was a sophomore in college. I took my first philosophy course and loved it. One day after class the instructor asked me what my major was. I said, "English but I am thinking of changing to philosophy." He said that I could not do that and among his reasons was that "There are no women philosophers. Women can not do philosophy." So I have ALWAYS been interested in women philosophers and ever since I knew of their existence, I wanted to be sure that their lives and work are widely known so no other young woman could be told what I was told.


Apparently there is a surprising number of instructors who will say things like this, which is insane.

In any case, in the interview Lindemann gives a number of ways you might be able to support the Women-Philosophers.com project, so go and read it.