Monday, March 03, 2008

Philosophers' Carnival LXIV

Well, I've had a bit of a let-down today. I've been thinking for some time now about what needs to be done to find a handy way of diagramming modal logic using Carroll's literal diagrams; I figured out how to do it today. I thought I was being extraordinarily clever, but further thinking led me to realize that it was really just a variant of the diagrams James Garson uses in Modal Logic for Philosophers, which I happen to be reading at the moment. (It wasn't immediately obvious that they were the same, and the book had been set aside for a week or so as I was doing other things, so it's not quite as silly as it sounds. But I still feel silly about it. It goes to show that you don't always know the origin of your own ideas.) There are a few nice features to the variant, so I still might post something on it after I've put a few more of my thoughts about it in order. And I do still intend to write on the role of Christ in Spinoza's philosophy. But in the meantime, check out the new edition of the Philosophers' Carnival at "Movement of Existence".