Wednesday, October 05, 2016

Plato and Xenophon

Updating this post. I'm planning on starting either the Anabasis or Hellenica at some point this month.

Plato: Widely Recognized as Authentic

Charmides
Phaedrus: Part I, Part II, Part III, Part IV
Ion
Hippias Minor
Gorgias: Part I, Part II, Part III, Part IV
Lysis
Timaeus: Part I, Part II
Critias
Euthydemus
Meno
Menexenus: Part I, Part II
Theaetetus
Euthyphro
Cratylus
Sophist
Statesman
Apology
Crito
Phaedo: Part I, Part II
Symposium
Republic: Part I, Part II, Part III, Part IV
Parmenides
Protagoras: Part I, Part II
Philebus
Laws: Part I, Part II, Part III, Part IV


Plato: Heavily Disputed

Alcibiades Major
Clitophon
The Platonic Letters: 7,8
Hippias Major


Plato: Usually Regarded as Spurious

The Platonic Definitions
Halcyon
Sisyphus
Demodocus
Eryxias
Axiochus
Rival Lovers
Theages
De Justo
De Virtute
Hipparchus
Alcibiades Minor
The Platonic Letters: 1,5,9,12 ; 2,4,10,13 ; 3,6,11
The Platonic Epigrams
Minos
Epinomis


Xenophon

Memorabilia: Book I, Book II, Book III, Book IV
Apology
Symposium
Oeconomicus
Cyropaedia: Part I, Part II
Hiero
Cynegeticus
Hipparchikos and Peri Hippike
Agesilaus: Books I-II; Books III-IX; Books X-XI

Aristophanes

The Clouds

Plutarch

On Socrates' Daimonion: Part I, Part II, Part III, Part IV

Related Posts

Some Thoughts Toward Reading Plato's Dialogues
The Golden Villain of Athens
Sydenham's Scheme for the Platonic Dialogues
Hermocrates: A Non-Reading
The Last Days of Socrates
Philosophos: A Non-Reading
A Philosophical Bendideia
Life in This Present Hades
Socrates in the Anabasis
The Aftermath of Arginusae
Themistocles in the Gorgias
Soma Sema


Saved for Later

Xenophon: Anabasis, Constitution of Sparta, Hellenica, Poroi

Plutarch: Life of Alcibiades, A Discourse Concerning Socrates's Daemon, What, as Xenophon intimates, are the Most Agreeable Questions and Most Pleasant Raillery at an Entertainment?, What is Plato’s Meaning, when he says that God always plays the Geometer?, Platonic Questions

Apuleius: The God of Socrates

Libanius: Defense of Socrates